What’s So Special About LED Lights?

By November 8, 2018Electrical

LED lights are made from a cluster or strip of Light Emitting Diodes, or LEDs. There are many characteristics of LED lights that make them far superior to incandescent or fluorescent globes, such as their incredible efficiency and benefits to the environment.

LED lighting is a relatively new and emerging technology. You might have heard a few of their benefits, but here’s the rundown on what makes them so special.LED lights

LED, or Light Emitting Diode Lighting, is the latest development in lighting technology that is good for your wallet, as well as the environment.


LED Lights Save Energy

The first thing that is touted about LEDs is their incredible efficiency. In fact, they consume up to 80% less energy than a standard incandescent light bulb. When you consider that lighting takes up around 10% of a homes energy use, you can really see where the savings come in.

They Last Longer

Along with being efficient, LED lights also have an incredibly long lifespan. Incandescent bulbs can often blow after a year, however, LED lights can clock in over 100,000 hours before they need to be changed. Most manufactures claim they will last somewhere between 50,000 and 80,000 hours. That’s 5-10 years!

They Produce Less Heat

Everyone knows how hot an incandescent bulb can get. You’ve probably gone to change a globe to find it scalding hot before having to wait for it to cool down. And no one wants hot globes, especially in the middle of summer.

But why are they so hot? Incandescent lights are incredibly inefficient, 20% of the energy is converted to light, while a massive 80% converts to heat. So how do LED lights compare? Well, only 10%-20% converts to heat and the remaining 80%-90% all to lighting. Energy efficient and cool.

They Are Good For the Environment

There are numerous reasons why LED lights are better for the environment than standard globes. For starters, they use less energy – that’s a given. They also don’t contain some of the harmful chemicals that other globes do. For instance, neon lighting contains mercury, a harmful toxin if not disposed of correctly. As LED lights don’t have to be replaced so often they produce less waste. And on top of this they are made from 100% recyclable materials.

ED Lights Come in a Range of Colours

A criticism of non-traditional lights is that they don’t have the nice warm globe of an old-style incandescent bulb. Some people are taken aback by the harsh, cold lighting of newer style lights, especially where mood is crucial.

However, fear no more, because LED lighting is now widely available in a range of colours, including warm white (similar to an incandescent bulb), a slightly lighter soft white, as well as bright white, which is great for specific tasks.

They Save Money

Yes, as they are a newer technology, LED lighting is more expensive than traditional lighting. However, when you factor in the savings in energy and replacement costs, they will quickly pay back what they owe you.

If you have any questions about installing LED lighting in your home or business or have any other electrical queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with HunterCON today.

Leave a Reply