Carbon monoxide (CO) is a byproduct of burning carbon fuel like the gas on your stove and the petrol in your car. Even small doses of carbon monoxide can cause permanent damage or even in some cases, death.
As such, carbon monoxide detectors are important devices which work to detect the presence of CO gas and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Keep reading to find out more about CO detectors and why you should install them in your home.
What are they and how do they work?
Carbon monoxide detectors are the quickest and easiest way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. They function similarly to a fire or smoke alarm by sounding an alarm when they detect carbon monoxide. Once the alarm sounds, the CO detector must be in a carbon monoxide-free environment to reset itself. Different sensors set off different types of alerts which include:
Biomimetic sensor: a gel changes colour when it absorbs carbon monoxide, which then triggers the alarm.
Metal oxide semiconductor: When the silica chip’s circuitry detects carbon monoxide, it lowers the electrical resistance, and this change triggers the alarm.
Electrochemical sensor: Electrodes immersed in a chemical solution sense changes in electrical currents when they come into contact with carbon monoxide, and this change triggers the alarm.
Where to place carbon monoxide detectors
It essential to have enough carbon monoxide detectors to cover all the levels in your home, including the basement and attic. Place a CO sensor near each bedroom and anywhere required by local laws.
When your detector alarm goes off
If the detector’s alarm is triggered, get outside immediately for fresh air. Check for any flu-like symptoms that could suggest poisoning and if any are observed, call emergency services straight away. If possible, open all doors and windows to air out your home before heading outside and do not reenter your home until the alarm stops sounding or your home has been deemed safe by the authorities. Contact a professional to evaluate all of your fuel-burning appliances and any other possible sources of carbon monoxide to prevent a future incident. Furthermore, it is a good idea to survey your home and prevent safety hazards with regular maintenance and inspections.
If you have any questions about carbon monoxide detectors and electrical safety in your home or would like to know more about installation or maintenance of electrical items, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.
With over nine years of experience under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing air-con and electrical services of the highest quality. Get in touch with us today.