In our busy lives, sometimes it is hard to remember to be cautious with the electrical appliances in our home. But if you have pets, it is even more important to be careful.
It goes without saying that electricals can be hazardous to our pets if left unchecked. So what are some measures that responsible pet owners can take to keep them safe from electrical hazards?
Be careful with cords
Electrical cords are one of the most obvious hazards to pets and its easy for your cat or dog to confuse dangerous electrical cords for harmless toys. There are a few measures you can take to make sure risk is minimised:
• In cable-dense areas, such as behind a computer, use a cable tie to bunch cords together making them harder to chew.
• Invest in pet-proofing, which comes in the form of long plastic piping that is difficult for pets to chew through.
• Consider choosing higher-quality cables with thicker more durable insulation.
• Some cables come with a non-toxic bitter agent that makes them unpleasant to taste and pet stores sell this formula as a spray that can be applied to discourage pets.
Be conscious of hot appliances
Cats love nothing more than a nap in a warm place, whether that be a sunny window sill or a laptop. It is essential to keep hot electronics away from pets to avoid burns or even electrocution. Make sure that pets don’t rest on top or to close to hot appliances such as oil burners, stoves, computers and hair straighteners.
Be aware of water
If your pet likes to get up on the kitchen bench or the bathroom sink, it can be easy for them to knock electrical appliances into the water. Make sure you never leave any appliances such as hair driers or electric hand beaters where your pet might knock them into the water. If you must leave them in those places, then ensure that they are unplugged.
Pets and outdoor wires
Ensure outside areas are free from underground wires or cables that your pets might unintentionally dig up. If your dog enjoys digging, then make sure you know what’s in the ground that he might unintentionally dig up. All underground wiring and cabling should be at a depth that your pet won’t find it with his paws.
Check your sockets
Make sure that appliances are fully plugged into sockets, any exposed wiring or faulty cable could cause a shock if nudged by a wet nose. Make sure that all your sockets are in proper working order, with no loose parts so you can be sure that your pet can’t get anywhere near the insides of the socket.
If you have any questions about electrical hazards, or if you’d like ideas to help keep your pets safe please don’t hesitate to give us a call. With over 9 years of experience under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing fast and efficient service of the highest quality. If you have any questions regarding electricity in your house or are looking for a quote for electrical installations, repairs, or general maintenance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with HunterCON about Power Boards today.