While filters can make our life easier in a huge number of ways, they also play an important role in the functioning and efficiency of your air conditioning unit.
It is important to use fresh HVAC filters for your aircon to run efficiently and without unnecessary exertion. But how do you check if your filters in good shape?
Buy the right HVAC filter
When you go shopping for HVAC filters, you will realise there are a variety of shapes and sizes of filters. Check your AC unit manual to figure out which shape and size you need to buy. Locate the manual and make a note of the make and model number. If the manual is missing, the make and model should be visible on the ac unit. It is important to remember that purchasing a filter which is too small or large can result in gaps that allow dust and debris to pass through, which can potentially burn out your HVAC system.
Checking your HVAC filter
If you want to check whether your HVAC filter needs replacing, follow the subsequent instructions:
- Make sure your unit is turned off
- Lift the lid of your air conditioner.
- Check to see if your filter is damaged or needs reconditioning. You may notice a build-up of dust and debris.
- Clean your filters. If it is the first time removing the filter from your unit, follow the manual instructions. If the damage isn’t too bad, use a vacuum for a thorough clean. If it appears to be very clogged, scrub it under warm water and ensure it is completely dry before placing it back.
- If the damage is too much for cleaning, replace your filter. Do this by carefully removing the access panels, removing the filter and replacing it with a new one. Make sure the arrow on the outside of the filter is pointing in the same direction as the airflow.
How much maintenance does your HVAC filter need?
Regular cleaning of your AC Unit and its filters is an important step for prolonging the life of your air conditioner. It is a good rule of thumb to change your HVAC filters every 45 to 60 days. However, if you suffer from allergies or have pets, you may need to change more frequently, especially during the summer months.
If you are confused or unsure about how to maintain your AC unit, or would like to know more about installation or maintenance of electrical items, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. With over nine years of experience under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing air-con and electrical services of the highest quality. Get in touch with us today.